13 November 2013 @ 09:22 pm
Prompt Set: 47 | Photo prompt: Five photos of things or people of note.  
PHOTO PROMPT : Get out your camera and take up to five photos of things or people of note around you. Tell us about them.

So it's not all that exciting, being a teacher, but I thought it sort of an interesting idea and now you know my professional life I suppose. Not that you wanted to know. It's quite boring and I apologise in advance.


-This is the school I teach in. PS 70 in Astoria. I have to admit that while we're not the greatest, in fact we're not even close, but it's like home in a lot of ways. We're cramped and overworked but hopefully that wont be for too much longer thank goodness though admittedly I don't think we'll ever truly get to the point where I'd like. While the addition is nice, and so is the gym, we still need a lot more resources on top of space. But I suppose that's every PS in the city really.




-This is my setup this year which really isn't bad. It's better than previous years as I didn't think, nor did I plan, on working here this year. They gave my classroom up to the second grade as part of the 'shift'. It's worked out well because it's got a decent amount of updates. I've even got a smartboard this year which has proved quite handy. It's a shame we can't have them in all the classrooms.




-This is my classroom setup this year. It's a lot different than previous years as I've got a much bigger class size. One of the downsides to getting the better classroom. I wouldn't mind if I had the proper resources but since I don't it's proven to be quite a challenge. I've had bigger classes though so I know exactly what I need to do to make it work. My students this year are quite brilliant though, which makes it a lot easier than past years.




-This year, as well as last year, with my best workmate Trina we'll be doing the gardening program, provided we get enough funding by spring, which I'm very excited for. It's a great, hands on, experience for the kids and they seemed to really enjoy it last year. They keep what they grow in their own garden boxes and it's interesting to see what things the kids pick. It keeps them busy after school too which is great all things considered. I'd love for the whole school to get on board but sadly I don't think we'll ever have the ability too.




-And last but not least my planner. I'd be absolutely lost without this, especially now, and I know every teacher in the world would agree with me. Without this it's chaos. Utter chaos. I usually make them out far before school even starts with some new things and bits from my old planner and lesson plans.
 
 
( Post a new comment )
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 03:51 am (UTC)
Look at that garden! That is so great. I love getting an insight into your day, Gabe. I barely made it through first grade in public school I missed so much.
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#5853154[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 03:55 am (UTC)
I really liked the idea. I'm not good at cooking, or really growing, but I like seeing the kids get really involved. I hope it's something that we'll be able to continue for a long while but you never know.
I don't know why. It's not that thrilling Mr. Rockstar. Yeah, understandably, I'm glad you did though.
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 04:01 am (UTC)
It's a really great idea and it looks like it turned out great!

I'm a pretty big fan of learning and education. What teachers do is awesome, Gabe. And, I might be a performer but, I'm still me and I think what you do is amazing.
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#6563728[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 04:03 am (UTC)
Well that's technically from last year. We're going to try and do the same again in the spring. Keep your fingers crossed.

Oh, you think too much of me, but I do appreciate it. I wish more people thought that way. It's not an easy job but it's very rewarding.
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 04:21 am (UTC)
I'd love to come help if you need it. Or donate supplies? I know most teachers fork out a ton of their own money to do stuff like this for their students.

That's why I think so much of you. It's not an easy job. And you seem like you actually like your students.
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#6563732[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 04:26 am (UTC)
Trina is truly in charge of the donations aspect. While her and I do it together it's her pet project. But to be quite honest we'd take anything we can for the kids. Last year most of the extra from the shop went into the garden programme and since there's no shop this year there's no extra. It doesn't need to be much. Even a little goes a long way.

I really do. It's nice in a lot of ways, I mean, I'll never have kids so doing this. It fills a hole I have. I don't think I could ever stop. But... I... I haven't really been on the ball as I have in past years. I feel bad about that because just because I'm feeling miserable doesn't mean I should let my students suffer as well.
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 04:31 am (UTC)
I would really, really love to help.

A lot has happened. Things change. You might be a little off your game but your heart is still in the right place. You'll get there.
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#3249924[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 04:34 am (UTC)
The programme would truly appreciate the help. We don't get to do much anymore and... it's something I really believe in.

This doesn't feel like it's changing. Just getting worse. But I do hope I get there. I really do. I'm sick of hurting my friends, I can't imagine what I'd do if I in some way hurt my students.
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 02:43 pm (UTC)
You won't hurt them Gabe. Have you ever watched Finding Nemo?
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#3249923[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 06:20 pm (UTC)
I can't say that I have. What's it about.
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 06:44 pm (UTC)
I'm not telling. I think you should just trust me and watch it. Your kids would love it. Don't you get movie days during the holidays? Have a movie party and watch Nemo!
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#3249923[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 06:49 pm (UTC)
The school board disapproves but to be honest I usually do the day before thanksgiving break. But I mean, it's not really a thanksgiving movie is it?
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 06:54 pm (UTC)
[Sam scratches his head.] There are Thanksgiving movies?
Gabriel Blanchard: pic#3249922[personal profile] bit_awkward on November 14th, 2013 06:57 pm (UTC)
Of course there are!
[personal profile] sam_k_roth on November 14th, 2013 06:59 pm (UTC)
Name one!